1957 Coupe de Ville Project

Next up was the front air bag installation. While this project is as new to me as the brake conversion, it got done considerably faster. Again thanks go to Frank for help in engineering, torch work, and odd parts sourcing. We decided to completely remove the old spring pocket from the bottom A-arm and replace it with a flat piece for the air bag to bolt to.

Frank burned the heads off of the rivets and drove them out with an air-hammer.

I got 2 pieces of 3/16" steel plate 11"X 12" to make the plates. Frank had them bent to make a 2" deep, 7" wide channel that is 12" long.I then used various cutting tools to trim them to fit the lower A-arms.

The air bags will sit on the lower A-arms like this.

03 - 04 - 05 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 09 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13

Project Index - Projects - Index